This is the definitive list of the 50 best songs of 2015. There are no disclaimers, there are simply hitz. Any confusion over song selection that you may experience is likely not due to a difference in taste, just a product of bad-parenting on your mother and father’s part. Please send all questions to them. Off we go!
50. Oliver Nelson – You
49. RUE – Always Be My Baby
Some songs are meant to be covered. Some are not. Always nice to hear more from RUE.
48. Ben Browning – Friends of Mine
47. Sam Kogon – Before
The whole album is good. Shoutout to the violinist.
46. The African You – aNO
I thought these guys broke up. This song is way better than sNO.
45. flybear – The Hook
Mura Masa wannabes will always make this list.
44. Tunji Ige – On My Grind
43. Jeff the Brotherhood – Black Cherry Pie
42. Miami Horror – Love Like Mine
41. PLPS – How I Feel (20syl remix)
40. Jack Garratt – Breathe Life
Michelle and I both like this song so you know it’s good (bad).
39. Carly Rae Jepsen – All That
Cupid Deluxe b-side.
38. Hudson Mohawke – Scud Books
Stronger melody than usual for HudMo.
37. Tame Impala – Let It Happen
How you open an album.
36. Chvrches – Clearest Blue
Best song on decent album.
35. Julia Holter – Sea Calls Me Home
Her insistence on harpsichord is not in vain.
34. Leon Bridges – Coming Home
I wish Leon had some new ideas.
33. Tennyson – Too Long
32. Tame Impala – The Less I Know The Better
31. Donny Trumpet & the Social Experiment – Wanna Be Cool
Big Sean wasn’t able to ruin this song.
30. Father John Misty – Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)
29. Grimes – Kill v Maim
28. Donny Trumpet & the Social Experiment – Familiar
27. Father John Misty – The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apartment
Cutting and hilarious.
26. Jess Glynne – Hold My Hand (Le Youth Remix)
25. Towkio – Heaven Only Knows
This mixtape was underrated maybe.
24. Jamie XX – Gosh
The first time I heard this song I was completely blind-sided by the pitched feedback sound that drops an octave or so inm the middle of the song. It was a brilliant trick.
23. Demo Taped – Not Enough
Excited to hear more from Mr. Taped.
22. Chvrches – Leave a Trace (Four Tet Remix)
Maybe 2015’s prettiest song.
21. Drake – Back to Back
20. Drake – Hotline Bling
Undeniable. The 808 is courageous.
19. Toro y Moi (ft. Rome Fortune) – Benjiminz
Gotta play the game so I can change the game.
18. Of Montreal – Bassem Sabry
17. Punch Brothers – I Blew It Off
Punch Brothers didn’t play this song at Celebrate Brooklyn in the summer of 2015.
16. Jamie XX – I Know There’s Gonna Be (Good Times)
2015 song of the summer.
15. Mura Masa – When U Need Me
14. The Minors – All Night, Alright?
Greatest song of all time.
13. Jamie XX – The Rest is Noise
12. Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Can’t Keep Checking My Phone
Some bands have everything.
11. Rustie – Peace Upzzz
What the hell
10. Kendrick Lamar – For Free?
This song proves Kendrick Lamar is the best rapper of all time.
9. Tobias Jesso – How Could You Babe
8. Jack U – Where Are U Now?
Not the most Jack U song on the album, but rebirthed Bieber for real.
7. Vince Staples – Norf Norf
Not as scary as FKA Twigs’ entry from last year (Two Weeks) but certainly terrifying. Long Beach, CA is no place for children.
6. Tame Impala – Disciples
It’s tricky sorting out the highlights of Currents because there’s so many. This one wins.
5. Father John Misty – Holy Shit
This song felt more earnest than all the rest FJM made and happened to be perfectly written.
4. Punch Brothers – Familiarity
This song’s got it all.
3. Kendrick Lamar – King Kunta
2. Sufjan Stevens – Fourth of July
1. Mura Masa – Lovesick Fuck
6th best Minors song.